Oct 6, 2011

Planning Urban Asia

Singapore ModelI have been impressed with the large Asian cities that I have visited, and the prominent role of their Planning Departments.  In Singapore, Hangzhou, and Shanghai I have visited impressive museums dedicated to the history and future of the local urban environment.   These museums discuss buildings, land use, and IMG_0473infrastructure in language that ordinary people can understand.  And each of them has had a scale model of their entire city area.  This has been the most fun and impressive aspect.  I have enjoyed watching citizens young and old leaning over the models eagerly pointing to their homes, their schools, or their favourite park or shopping mall. 

 

IMG_1166Here are some photos of the models in Singapore (top), Hangzhou (middle), and Shanghai (bottom).  I recommend anyone visiting these cities to have a look at these museums and at the impressive and update models within.

No comments:

Post a Comment