I was busy all weekend searching for an apartment in Delhi. It was an interesting process that actually gave me a different perspective on the city. Most of my time so far in Delhi (and this includes my time years ago as a tourist) has been in the commercial areas, or the tourist areas. These are very public places, and I was always dismayed by how poorly they were maintained. Broken streets and non-existent sidewalks. Ugly building facades. Faded signs. In general, all things in dis-repair. I had felt that was the character of the city ... old and uncared for. Even the tourist sites are 500 year old ruins of bygone civilizations. I did not feel this was necessarily bad; it just had a sad sense of neglect.
But my touring of residential neighborhoods gave me a much different perspective. (Of course, I am still looking in the posher middle to upper class neighborhoods of Defense Colony, Lajpat Nagar, South Extension, and Jangpura). These places were really people's homes. I saw trees, and quiet steets, and happy playing children. I saw grandfathers and grandmothers. I saw careful flower gardens. I heard the song of birds. And I felt a soothing peace. This was a side of Delhi I'd not seen before. And I found it very inviting. I really enjoyed making the tour of neighborhoods on the back of my housing agent's motorcycle. The breeze on my face, and the shadows of the tree canopy flickering in my eyes. I am now looking forward to becoming a part of one of these communities here!
...
I probably visited 25 different apartments in the last 3 days. It made most sense for me to engage a housing agent to show me neighborhoods and flats. I asked my colleague for recommendations and he pointed me to a few housing websites. I posted my interest on a handful of properties (fairly randomly selected, based on proximity of a few neighborhoods to my office). And then, by the next morning, I had every agent in South Delhi calling me up to show me places. I made a series of back to back appiontmetns for Friday and Saturday, and hoped for the best.
...
The first agent picked me up in Defense Colony Market on a motorbike. His name is Ajay and he was quiet and polite. He showed me 11 properties the first day. Almost all were good options. A range of new to old buildings, a range of sizes, and a range of views out the front window. But the best part was riding around Delhi on the back of his mortobike and learning more about the neighborhoods surrounding my office. It gave me a much better orientation of the area. And I found Ajay to be very knowledgeable and helpful.
...
I'll also point out that the era of smart-phones has totally changed the apartment hunting process. I took hundreds of photos throughout the day, and used the GPS to pin-point my location in the neighborhoods. This really accelerated my orientation, and helped me to remember and compare what I had seen. I was later able to upload some photos from my top choices, and get some good advice from my local colleague. See the google map below, for some of my notes!
...
Anyway, I think I found the perfect apartment. Must be the best in Delhi! Out of a sense of superstition, I will not say more until I sign the lease... but stay tuned.
View Delhi Housing Map in a larger map
But my touring of residential neighborhoods gave me a much different perspective. (Of course, I am still looking in the posher middle to upper class neighborhoods of Defense Colony, Lajpat Nagar, South Extension, and Jangpura). These places were really people's homes. I saw trees, and quiet steets, and happy playing children. I saw grandfathers and grandmothers. I saw careful flower gardens. I heard the song of birds. And I felt a soothing peace. This was a side of Delhi I'd not seen before. And I found it very inviting. I really enjoyed making the tour of neighborhoods on the back of my housing agent's motorcycle. The breeze on my face, and the shadows of the tree canopy flickering in my eyes. I am now looking forward to becoming a part of one of these communities here!
...
I probably visited 25 different apartments in the last 3 days. It made most sense for me to engage a housing agent to show me neighborhoods and flats. I asked my colleague for recommendations and he pointed me to a few housing websites. I posted my interest on a handful of properties (fairly randomly selected, based on proximity of a few neighborhoods to my office). And then, by the next morning, I had every agent in South Delhi calling me up to show me places. I made a series of back to back appiontmetns for Friday and Saturday, and hoped for the best.
...
The first agent picked me up in Defense Colony Market on a motorbike. His name is Ajay and he was quiet and polite. He showed me 11 properties the first day. Almost all were good options. A range of new to old buildings, a range of sizes, and a range of views out the front window. But the best part was riding around Delhi on the back of his mortobike and learning more about the neighborhoods surrounding my office. It gave me a much better orientation of the area. And I found Ajay to be very knowledgeable and helpful.
...
I'll also point out that the era of smart-phones has totally changed the apartment hunting process. I took hundreds of photos throughout the day, and used the GPS to pin-point my location in the neighborhoods. This really accelerated my orientation, and helped me to remember and compare what I had seen. I was later able to upload some photos from my top choices, and get some good advice from my local colleague. See the google map below, for some of my notes!
...
Anyway, I think I found the perfect apartment. Must be the best in Delhi! Out of a sense of superstition, I will not say more until I sign the lease... but stay tuned.
View Delhi Housing Map in a larger map
No comments:
Post a Comment