Apr 1, 2009

Of Haversacks and Queues

It is funny adjusting to slight language differences here in Singapore.

Virtually everyone here speaks English. But given the historical presence of Britain in Singapore, it is distinctly British English that people speak. It is easy to communicate with people but there is a set of vocabulary that I am not used to using. For instance, I take the lift up to my flat after work. I wait in the queue at the lunch counter. I can put my trunk in the boot of the taxi, but I cannot ask to put my boots in the trunk of the car – they just won’t know what I mean!

I also am certain that I pronounce the word “orange” in an entirely indecipherable manner. Many of you are probably aware of my fondness for orange juice (my beverage of choice in most circumstances). Every time I order orange juice with a meal, I have to repeat myself two or three times. “Orange juice, please. … Orange juice. … Or-ange!”. And then today, at the beverage stand in my office food court, I requested an orange soda. The girl behind the counter asked me to repeat. “Orange,” I said, “or-ange”. She looked puzzled. I said “orange” again. She nodded her head, and I was pleased at effectively communicating across cultures. She kept nodding as she filled the cup and gave me a Coke.

Once I learn to speak English again, I hope to take on the challenge of learning Mandarin and some Malay. That will be two more languages to add to my haversack.

2 comments:

  1. In regard to your "Orange" dilemma: might I suggest learning the word in both Mandarin and Malay, just to make your food ordering easier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent idea. I could also carry a picture of myself enjoying a glass of OJ.

    ReplyDelete