Oct 25, 2009

Recent Travel #1: Melacca, Malaysia

It has been some time since I last posted on this blog! But I have been doing some traveling from Singapore and enjoying myself recently. In September, I took a trip with three friends to Melacca, Malaysia. We took the train/subway to the Singapore/Malaysia border, crossed the causeway by bus, and then rented a car at Jahor Bahru to drive to Melacca (about 3 hours away).

I had never driven on the "wrong" side of the road before. In Singapore and Malaysia, they follow the British custom of driving on the left side of the road. It was a strong psychological challenge to adjust to driving in this way. So much of driving is instinct -- there is so much going on at any moment that you need to allow your subconscious to do a lot of the work. But in this case, my subconscious wanted to be on the right side of the road. I had to constantly remind myself of where to drive and what lane to be in! It was very funny. I also turned on the windshield wipers every time I made a turn...

But the trip was a lot of fun. The best way to tell the story is to show pictures, so I will include a link to a Picasa web album where I posted photos with captions that describe our fun time.


No comments:

Post a Comment