Tonight I went with a few friends to see the Singapore Amateur Beijing Opera Society perform an evening of traditional opera. I invited my Uncle Chow to go to the opera, since I knew he loves to sing so much. I also invited my good Chinese friend Ivy and my new co-worker, Samantha.
We all met at the historic Raffles Hotel in the centre of downtown Singapore. This famous hotel has a beautiful and intimate theatre on the 3rd floor, called Jubilee Hall.
It was a wonderful evening in the old Victorian theatre, and we were all entertained by the singing, dancing, and acting during the show. The costumes and makeup were very beautiful, and the voices and actors’ movements were impressive.
After the show we walked down the street to an outdoor cafe to have a cup of tea and talk for a while. Ivy was very glad to meet my Uncle, having heard so much about him recently. And Uncle then entertained us all by playing a few songs on the harmonica that he brought with him. … Maybe he was secretly hoping to join the orchestra during the opera!! You can see a nice video of him playing an old Chinese song on the harmonica here.
It was a really nice evening with good friends and a very memorable event!
No comments:
Post a Comment